As it was, I played a game of yardage chicken. And I lost! With about 50 sts remaining to cast off, I ran out of yarn! GAH! I attempted to use the ends from throughout the garment, but they weren't long enough. Luckily I have some leftovers in my knitting corner and the first ball I laid my hands on was the perfect colour. 4ply and wool, and not sparkly, but the perfect colour. I just doubled it and finished off the cast off and sighed with relief. Its also at the side of the dress, so totally unnoticeable, even to me.
The pattern is my Zita pattern, and I knit this exactly to the pattern, although I added length as she is a 3y chest size, and I knit to between the 4y and 5y for length (hence the yardage chicken...)